23 March 2014

Churches of Tijuana

I have always had a thing for Spanish architecture, especially baroque. I first visited the California missions of San Miguel when I was 14 and Mission San Diego when I was 15 or 16. As a Roman Catholic, the churches and missions are more than historical to me. Yes, I will admit that the evangelization of Mexico and the New World was probably one of the most atrocious things done in history. But now, as I step into a church, I recognize that we as humans, have built a beautiful place to worship God, and a beautiful home for Him so that we may communion with Him.

The churches of Tijuana are beautiful and I absolutely LOVE seeing new ones. I make Hector take me to a new one every time I visit. I made him get up for 7am Mass at the Cathedral on a Sunday. He goes along, and even when he traveled to Oaxaca earlier this year, he went to the churches and took LOTS of pictures for me, because he is a good husband. So I thought I'd share some of my Tijuana pictures on this Sunday:

I think this church is: Nuestra Señora de la Soledad. 


When I visited this church, they were doing some construction, so the doors were not open, but the prayer chapel was. I love this church and it can be seen towering over Tijuana. It's right on the edge of the sobreruedas near the Tecnologico.

The address is:
1a. Sur y Soledad Orozco 55,
Col. del Río p/a
22350, Tijuana, B.C.
Tel. (664)682 5363


This church is: Divina Providencia. It took me almost 3 years to visit this church and it was worth the wait! I love this church. It is a lovely green color inside, and the windows are beautiful. The interior itself is a simple beauty, but the real treat is the stained glass window on the south side of the building. It casts the image of a dove down onto the altar. It's beautiful.


The address for this church is:
Av. Aquiles Serdán 11490,
Col. Libertad p/b
22300, Tijuana, B.C.
Tel. (664)683 1348

This church is the main Cathedral in downtown Tijuana: Catedral de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe.
This church was the main reason I came back to the Church after being away. I love this place. I love being around so many people who are all worshiping God and basking in His goodness. The Cathedral is open almost always and it is really just a beautiful building. The dome over the altar is beautiful and filled with beautiful stained glass windows and paintings. 
The address for this church is: 
C. 2da. y Niños Héroes 7982,
Col. Centro
22000, Tijuana, B.C.
Tel. (664)685 3026, 685 3620
But I doubt you will need the address. You can't miss this place.

Last but not least is one of my favorite churches EVER: Catedral San Francisco de Asís.



This church is beautiful, calm, and is a very good secret in Tijuana. It's a Franciscan church, just inside of the Centro. I have a small obsession with this church. I love coming to this church because it is a beautiful spot to contemplate the Lord, but it's quiet unlike the main Cathedral. The main cathedral is beautiful, but a lot of people go in and out throughout the day. This one is more out of the way, so it is less distracting. The address for this place is:
C. 3ra. 7400
Centro
22000, Tijuana, B.C.
Tel. (664)685-2274

I hope everyone enjoys this post. I love these churches- they are my happy place in the world. I love going to thank God for the life I have and all of our blessings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment