27 April 2014

Living Simply

The Pope recently posted on his Twitter that: "A simple lifestyle is good for us, helping us better share with those in need." And I have been thinking about this a lot lately, as I prepare to move to a country that puts less emphasis on physical possessions as it does on being with family, I've decided it time to declutter. I have about 5 weeks(!) until the move, and I know that I cannot take everything that I want to take. So Each week until the move, I am going to be going through all of my things, deciding what can stay, what can go.

I LOVE my things. I will fully admit it. This is probably not the attitude I should really have, and I know that. I have spent a large sum of money, acquiring things that I like. I have bought clothes, scrapbooking supplies,  books, dishes, toys for my kids, decor items, Christmas decorations- almost anything you can think of? Why? I wanted it. Simple as that. Do I have a shopping problem? Yes I do. It's frustrating and scary to be thinking that I am going to be decluttering and getting rid of things that I worked so hard to have. I want to be able to take EVERYTHING with me to Mexico. I've even considered getting a U-Haul to drive down to the border, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I can't take everything. 

So over the next few weeks you will see me decluttering:
  • Toys
  • Clothing
  • Hobby Items, including scrapbooking materials, art items, and possibly books.
  • Papers and things I've held on to for no apparent reason
  • Furniture
I figure that these are most of what I have. If I can break the emotional bond I have to most of this junk taking up space in my life, then I will be able to move on to the next chapter of my life, lighter and freer than I ever have been. Please join me on this journey, because I will need LOTS of emotional support, and please tune in on WEDNESDAYS as this will be the day I will be posting my progress- see you on Wednesday when I will tackle the immense piles of kid's toys that we've amassed over the last 7 years or so.

2 comments:

  1. We made it through half our possessions before we made the move and we fit everything we wanted in the van. Now that I'm here, I realized that I brought a lot of stuff that I really didn't need. If I haven't touched it in 3 months, I probably don't need it. I've already started working on our packing lists for Guatemala and Spain since each one will require different things. We'll be moving to Guatemala in a vehicle and we'll be flying with suitcases to Spain so this should be interesting. I love to make lists though, I live for my millions of lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference is you are moving around a lot still. We are staying put. I just can't leave my IKEA shelves. They fit my albums perfectly, and my albums and all of my PL stuff is coming with me. You already know :P

      Delete