02 April 2014

Putting the "Good" In "Good Life"

I picked up the April 2014 edition of Good Housekeeping magazine for I don't know why- I've never read the magazine before. As I was flipping though product reviews and hairstyles I find impossible, I came across a simple, 1-page article (page 25- I can't find the online version). The title instantly knocked my socks off. Under the section header of "Good Life", the title to this 5-item list was simple, "What Puts the Good In Your Life?".

WHOA.

As a spoiled America youngest-child, I've often felt that if something doesn't immediately go my way, that the entire universe is conspiring against me to make me upset. The world is literally going to stop spinning on its axis because I paid too much for something or because my husband got deported. Life is hard. And it sucks sometimes.

But only sometimes.

There is good in my life- A LOT of good. And I need to remind myself of that constantly. It could be a lot worse. I am so blessed beyond measure. So to celebrate this revelation I had at the grocery-store check-out, I'm listing 5 things that make my life a good life:


   1-Green, hard-to-kill houseplants. I forget about them, and they just keep on living. I'm lucky like that.

Yum
3-Brushing the tangles out of Cecilia's hair. I should be very grateful that my daughter is healthy, and has hair for me to brush. A lot of mom's are not so lucky.
4-I have a job to wake up and go to. A lot of people also, are not so lucky. I complain a lot about my job, but I am grateful for it, because the wages that it pays me are going to get me closer to my family being together.
5-Harry Potter. I'm a huge Potterhead. I have a Harry Potter tattoo. I love these books. They inspire bravery in me. 

3 comments:

  1. You have a blessed life indeed. I have neglected my succulents for a year and they are still going too, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm going to focus really hard and find 5 good things in my life right now...
    1. We are all healthy in this moment.
    2. My husband doesn't mind if I stay up all night scrapping.
    3. My daughters are quietly playing school with their dolls.
    4. My husband is making a delicious dinner.
    5. It's 3pm and I'm still in my pj's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so important to pause and think about the positive! Today I know that I was especially cranky/negative. But there are good things, like going away to see my best friend tomorrow, and getting to stay at a lovely B&B, and having enough food & money even after we pay the rent this month.
    I love Harry Potter as well! I've read them all multiple times and love random trivia/name origins. It's all just so clever and well thought out!

    ReplyDelete