06 May 2014

Project Life Tuesday: Kids' Albums

Many years ago, I discovered scrapbooking. I picked up a copy of Creaking Keepsakes Magazine, and I opened it up to one of her sketch columns. I honestly thought that you had to use a sketch to scrapbook. I didn't understand that there was any other way of scrapbooking. I followed Becky's advice closely, circling her comments and saving many of her articles in folders that I still have.

One day, she posted about how she organizes her kids' scrapbooks. I think it was on her blog. Each of her kids has a 12x12 album (PL style, of course) that she updates seasonally. I LOVED this idea and I grabbed it:

Here is a look at some pages from Cecilia's Album 4 (1st and 2nd grade).
The spine of Cecilia's WeRMemoryKeeper Albums. All of her albums are this brand, in the Plum color. Project Life labels are available here.

This is the second album I've made with this Amber core kit. So for the title, I used Amber edition cardstock (unavailble now I believe), and pink Thickers. I don't remember where I got them, and I now realize I need to add more pictures to the cover.

Lots of photos, lots of journaling

I scanned a lot of Cecilia's school work and printed it to fit inside of the pocket pages. 




I update the album seasonally, plus a layout for Christmas/December, and a layout for birthdays. Since she is in school, I use the Big Envelope Pages to hold important documents from school, handwriting samples, anything extra.

Valentines from class parties fit nicely into baseball card protectors. I lifted this idea from the fabulous Ali Edwards.





I really wanted to drive the "7" home. The original core kits came with these cool number stickers.


This is where the album starts to not be so updated....I'm human! I have unfinished pages! Most of these cars are filled out, but some aren't. These cards are from the Project Life Childhood Mini-Kit, Wellington Edition. The cards are super awesome and prompted for easy journaling.

December 2013. Also unfinished in the journaling department. Oh well. I at least got the picture printed. I can journal later. The cards here are some the Simple Stories December Documented collection that I used for my December Daily Project last year.
I've done albums like this for Cecilia since 2007. Once I adapted to Project Life in 2012, I bought the Amber edition for her, and scrapbooking her life got so much simpler. I can easily stay more up-to-date on her albums (not that I do!). I used to do traditional layouts for her, but it became too much, just like it did for the family album. I love this way of documentation.

NOTES:

  • Adding a Big Envelope page full of stuff every season makes your albums VERY thick VERY fast, and the pages become difficult to turn. This year, I am experimenting with adding only ONE envelope and maybe a few extra pages of scanned work at the very end of the school year. I'll let you know how this goes. 
  • I've traditionally mixed and matched my page protectors in my family albums and my kids' albums. But it is difficult to keep track of what I need to print when I do this. I may switch to using only Design A pages in my kids' albums, just to keep track of what to print in what size. 
  • Now that Cecilia is older, I'm trying to get her more involved with making her own scrapbook; like journaling ect. These are her memories, she should record them.
Project Life is a memory keeping system designed by Becky Higgins. All products are available on Becky's website or on Amazon.com. Feel free to share links to your own Project Life pages in the comments below.

6 comments:

  1. I love how you are using this for your kids albums. I also have found the envelope pages very cumbersome, I usually try to fit two kids years in one album and use just one envelope in the back for the few pieces I don't scan. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also try to get 2 years per book in. I'd like to get more, but the envelopes are making it harder. Maybe I should try scanning more. What do you do with little booklets and cute art projects (not just coloring sheets, i mean HUGE projects?). Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I love what you are doing for your kids albums. I have the same connundrum about storing stuff/artwork and having albums getting too bulky. Currently it is all in paper bags around the house which is probably worse, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my mother did that and I always thought she was crazy. I really like scanning the artwork and just printing it out as 3x4s or 4x6s. There are just so many things that don't scan well and I want to save them! Dilemmas!

      Delete
  3. The album looks great! A suggestion for artwork/important papers - I started scanning them for my youngest last year (when she was in 1st grade and had a lot of art type papers) and then print them out as 3x4's (2 per 4x6) and then they fit in the pocket protectors and you can get a bunch in one layout depending on which style you use. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea. I tried doing that last year, but now my scanner is broken. I also have tried to take pictures of her artwork, but it gets lost in all of the other pictures i take. I'm really hoping I can find something that will keep me organized soon!

      Delete