17 June 2014

The Journey Into Exile

I made it to Mexico. I am now in Exile.

It feels strange to be here on Mars. I mean, every time that I have come to visit, we have been rushed, trying to accomplish everything in just a few days. That rush is gone. Yes, there is a lot to do here, but there is no time limit, there is no rush to get it done.

The trip south was not what I had planned. A few days before we were set to leave, my dad's car had some troubles: it would not be ready in time.So what had I done all of that packing for? Why did I try to control it so much?

Sunday afternoon, I boarded a bus headed south with Cecilia and as much as I could crammed into 3 suitcases. It was pouring down rain in Portland,as if thetown was crying for me. I pulled away from the bus terminal and I didn't look back. I didn't look out the window. The bus was already full of people headed to other parts of Mexico from places further than I was. I just cried as I watched every memory I ever made fade away.

The bus had no shocks (it was a cheap Mexican line) and I was crammed into a little tiny space with 56 of my closest strangers for 24 hours. It wasn't actually too bad, and by the time we pulled into LA, we were not strangers anymore.

Cecilia of course was bored the entire time . She slept, I didn't really sleep. I didn't take a lot of pictures because I wanted to make sure that my phone was going to not die on me.

Getting through Aduana (Mexican customs) was easy and because I was only taking clothes and a few other things, I didn't have to declare anything. However, it was a struggle to get all of the bags through and back onto the bus on the other side. Once in Mexico, Hector was waiting for me at the Central Camionera, or major bus terminal in Tijuana. I had to actually take a DIFFERENT bus to that place from the line, and when I got there, I said goodbye to anyone else I had made the trip with.

The trip south was a lesson for me in patience and humility and charity. Patience because even in the US, the bus left 2 hours late: Mexican time. Humility because even though I had planned to bring all of these things with me, I ended up with 3 suitcases of my most precious posessions that I absolutely could not live without. It doesn't matter how much I was trying to hold on to- it was still left behind. And of course charity, because even though some of the people on that bus tested my patience and other virtues I strive for, I still looked at them as children of God, on a journey, just like me.

I am no better than anyone else. I too, have left it all behind to become a stranger in a foreign land. I am now an immigrant.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome to exile my dear, let me know what I can do to help you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Mexico! Though we are literally on opposite sides of Mexico, if you need anything, yell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have to go through hoops to become a citizen? Do you have a home and such there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. Right now being naturalized isn't a high priority here. We are well for now.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to hear you made it safely. :)

    ReplyDelete