03 September 2014

Autumn Bucket List

Hello Autumn!

Actually, autumn doesn't really exist here. It's still in the 80's every day, the palm trees don't change colors, and the kids went back to school in the middle of August (a big change for me, as kids in Oregon always started after Labor Day). There are no apple trees that I have found here, no pumpkin patches that I know about. My favorite things about fall don't happen here.

Autumn is my favorite season. There are things I love about all of the seasons, but autumn is truly my favorite. There is something about that early morning crispy air, the crunch of leaves on the street, and of course, PSLs from Starbucks, that make me want to grab my teacup, a pile of books, and throw on a sweater. Autumn feels like spice, smells like pumpkin pie and love. Besides the fact that the season starts later than usual around here, I have plans for autumn. I have a small bucket list, my Autumn 2014 wishlist, that will help me celebrate life during my favorite part of the year.

  1. Jump in a pile of leaves. I don't care how far I have to drive, or where I have to go, I want to make this happen. In Oregon, by the time fall comes around the rain back and the leaves are wet. I want to be able to jump in them.
  2. Visit a pumpkin patch. I doubt that I will be able to do this in Tijuana, but there might be somewhere in San Diego that I will be able to do this.
  3. Make pumpkin pie from scratch. My whole childhood was pie. My mother is a baker, and my house almost always seemed to have some sort of pie in it. I want to make a pie, to bring part of home here to Tijuana, and make Tijuana home for me.
  4. Celebrate Día de los Muertos. I have a feeling that this one will be easy, but we haven't really done it before. I want to decorate with marigolds and calaveras all over the place, but keep this holiday seperate from Halloween.
  5. Go trick-or-treating. Halloween is celebrated here on the border, but not really thoughtout Mexico. I want to take my kids, costumes and all, trick-or-treating, somewhere, just like we always have.
  6. Celebrate and teach my kids about Día de la Independencia. We celebrated the 4th of July here, and they know all about that one. Now it's time that they learned about Mexico's independence from Spain and all that is the celebrations here in Tijuana.
  7. Have a Thanksgiving. I have never really liked Thanksgiving. I prefer the Black Friday mess that follows. Before, I always thought of Thanksgiving as a day to see your relatives that you don't want to see the other 364 days of the year, and celebrate Manifest Destiny and what would become the slaughter of the indigenous people of America. But now, I want a turkey and all the trimmings. I want to make sweet potatoes. I want mashed potatoes and gravy and olives. I want to make all that food and not be able to eat it and just celebrate being together.
  8. Throw Isaias a birthday party. This fall, my son will turn 4. He has never had a birthday party. Cecilia had many birthday parties growing up, but Hector was always with us. After he left, those stopped. I want to throw my son a birthday party with carne asada, balloons, piñatas, loud music, and lots of kids everywhere. Maybe even one of those jumpy houses. I want to go all out and celebrate all the birthdays that we never celebrated, and celebrate the fact that Hector will never miss another birthday.
So, that is my list. It seems longer than I think it really is. I just want to enjoy the autumn, regardless of whether or not I can actually see it. What are your fall/autumn plans? 

No comments:

Post a Comment