30 September 2014

Día de Independencia 2014

Our first Mexican holiday here was a bright one. On September 15 and 16th, Mexicans celebrate El Grito de Dolores and Independence Day. Cecilia had both days off from school. We've never really celebrated Mexican holidays, as Hector grew up in the US and I never really made a point of celebrating.

But this year, we did. Our Community Center threw a huge party down in the park, and the entire colonia came out to celebrate. I love our little neighborhood here in Tijuana; it feels less like we live in a huge city and more like we live in a small town where everyone knows everyone. Cecilia had to get a traditional outfit for school, so she wore that to the party (may as well wear it more than once for the cost). Her little friends from school were also there to celebrate.






 You can't see it in this picture very well, but apparently Tijuana is home to one of THE BEST Michael Jackson impersonators I've ever seen.

The fireworks rang throughout the city for most of the night of the 15th, but there was a show over the stadium. I didn't stay up for the midnight Grito; I had to go to bed to go to work early Tuesday morning.

I feel like I'm celebrating double sometimes, and other times I feel like I'm just celebrating randomness. I don't feel quite settled like this is really my life, but I think that it is because I am new.

No comments:

Post a Comment