01 September 2014

One Little Word 2014: August Edition

August has come and gone. I can't believe that I have been here almost three months. There were times that I honestly thought that I was never going to get off of my front porch. But here I am, living a new life and adjusting and feeling my way through things here.

In this month's One Little Word class, she wanted us to focus on music. Music and I have an interesting relationship. There was a time that music was very important to me, that it was my lifeline to sanity. There were so many nights that I just put on music and cried with the lyrics until I felt that I had released enough yuckiness inside that I could go on and face tomorrow. But as time progressed, I let music slip away from me. I haven't turned on a radio in about four years. I haven't listened to any type of music, Mexican or English. I just haven't wanted to. So what was I supposed to do when I first read this assignment?

Well, I found some music that I used to listen to. A lot of these songs just make me feel brave. They aren't actually about being Brave, except for of course the Sara Barielles song. When I listen to these songs, I just feel like I can be brave enough to face tomorrow.

  1. Brave- Sara Barielles. This is my obvious Brave song. This song has been my uplifter all of this year. I first heard it on a commercial and it became part of my choosing Brave as my word this year.
  2. Let It Go- Demi Lovato. I already wrote about my reflections for this song not too long ago.
  3. Somewhere I Belong- Linkin Park. Linkin Park may not be everyone's cuppa tea, but they have been long-standing my favorite artists. Somewhere I Belong makes me feel brave, not because the song is about it, but because it is one of those songs that helped me through all of those horrible awkward years. I was able to be brave enough to face the sunrise because of this (and a lot of LP's songs).
  4. You Are Mine- David Haas. This is another song that makes me feel brave, because I feel my bravest when I feel loved. This song reminds me that I am always loved by God. I wrote about it here.
  5. Going Under- Evanescense. Not exactly a "brave" song again, but the music and they lyrics make me feel stronger. They make me feel like I can save myself from my self-created messes, like the lyrics descibe.
  6. Go The Distance- Michael Bolton. This is a song that again, makes me want to perservere, which is sometimes the bravest thing you can do.
  7. The Harry Potter Theme Song- I am a HUGE Potterhead. I love Harry Potter. According to Pottermore, I have been sorted into Gryffindor house, where of course, dwell the brave at heart. Harry Potter is a story of bravery, and the theme song, after it brings me to tears, makes me feel brave, like the hero.


So there you have it. The songs that are touching my soul, at this moment and always. These songs haven't recently begun to make me feel brave, they have ever since I first heard them. I hope you have enjoyed these. What songs make you feel brave? What songs inspire you to live your Word?

No comments:

Post a Comment