29 April 2015

Family Ties

April was a horrendously busy month!

At the beginning of April, i made a trip home to Portland. My mom's birthday fell on Easter Sunday this year, which is right in the middle of spring break in Mexico. The kids and I flew up to Portland, which was reading and green, and much colder than I remember; I spent a bunch of time on my mom's couch under blankets with my sweatshirts and wool socks that I thought I'd never see again, on.

Being in Portland was awkward, definitely. The longer I've been away, the more I feel like I don't really belong there. My mom's house is such a grand part of me, but it is a me that doesn't exist anymore. It's a shadow of a life that I don't live anymore. However, being in Portland gave me the opportunity to spend time with my mom and dad and see friends I sorely miss.

As my time in Portland came a close, we prepared for the long drive back to TJ. My dad made the drive with me. I want to publicly thank him for this: it made going back to TJ a million times easier. Once we made it, my dad spent a whole 2 weeks with me. It was so nice to have my dad. I know it was hard on him to be so far away from his home, but having Hector and my dad around was like a dream come true; I honestly thought Hector would never see my parents again.

My mom joined us the second week; i really enjoyed hanging out with my mom and showing her the different aspects of the life I live. Sometimes it wasn't much fun (ER trips), but I'm glad my parents could come. It was like a reconciliation between my two lives: the past and the new. It was hard let my parents leave, and it was especially hard on the kids, but I'm glad they got spend that time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment