01 January 2017

One Little Word 2017

Every year, I select one word to guide my actions and thoughts for the upcoming year. This is based off of Ali Edward's One Little Word concept. I've done this for 8 years now, and it's amazing to see where my One Little Word takes me each year. 

In 2009, my very frst One Little Word was downsize. It meant to be a word to help motivate me to lose weight, but I ended up downsizing the amount of toxic people in my life. In 2010, my word was pray. Hector and I suffered two miscarriages in 2009, and I was praying for a baby. That baby came in 2010 as my Isaias. In 2011, my word was learn. I wanted more knowledge. Instead, Hector got deported and I had to learn to be an adult, a single parent, and how to function without him. In 2012, my word was shine. I wanted to polish myself, learn who I was, and shine. I did find some of the light inside of me. In 2013, my word was adventure. I was going to move to Mexico. But I backed out at the last minute, terrified. In 2014, my word was brave and I accomplished my goal of getting my butt to Mexico. 2015 started out with some hard times, so my word was humble. This word changed my life because it allowed me to learn to find God.

My word for 2016 was small. I now see life as a series of small actions, each with the opportunity to be done with great love. It's exhausting to do big things and give them your all, but I can do the small important things.

2016 was a rough year, not only culturally, but personally as well. Leo joined our family and we returned to Mexico. I returned to work. We not only had to adjust to having a new baby, but also to being a family. Leo was a HIGH needs baby, which is enough to make you feel like a terrible parent. Cecilia had a rough time while I was in Oregon, then when I've come back a lot of the "helping" falls on her. It seems like we've been plagued with car troubles, with something always going on. We haven't been able to get ahead. I've lost any time I've had for my old hobbies, or even just self renewal. My introverted self is screaming out from inside of me, begging me for some self-care. The world has been full of wars, martyrdom, corrupt politicians, and is very depressing.

My word for 2017 is MAGIC.

I was drawn to this word about a month ago after reading a book from the fantasy genre. There's magic in this world to be sure, but I don't take time to look. I'm not converting to Wicca or taking up witchcraft by any means. I need that  light-up-your-life, wish-on-a- falling-star, chase-dragonflies, get-lost-in-a-book kind of magic.
To invite more magic into my life, I'm starting with advice from Professor Dumbledore: "Words re, in my not humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic". Starting now in January, I want to write more. My goal is two 500-word posts here on this blog, each week throughout the year, starting with this post. This blog was the unfortunate victim of my exhaustion  in 2016, and I hope to remedy that this year. I also hope to be giving monthly updates as to how magic and I are getting on.


What plans do you have for 2017? How do you find magic in your everyday life?

No comments:

Post a Comment