08 March 2017

0% Luck, 100% Hustle

THREE SOTB blog hops in a row?! I'm on a roll! As I mentioned before this blog hop was started a couple years ago, but me and a group of fellow Mexico-dwellers have tried our hardest to revive it this year. It's now March, and the theme is luck, but I'm pretty sure I'm not Irish.

I don't believe in luck. Perhaps it's my lifelong history of never being able to do something the easy way, or win much of anything, but I quit believing in luck a long time ago. I've spent my life running across people who've found ways to cheat the System, get a break, or even get ahead. But every time I've tried to copy them, I get shut down at every turn. Everything I have, I've had to hustle for.

I don't mind working hard. Well, sometimes I do. Sometimes, I'd like to take it easy, slow down, play hookie from work. But I know that I can't. There's no help for me if I slow down. While Tijuana is exceptionally cheaper than San Diego  to live in, the life of a border crosser is expensive. There's gas and food, buying household necessities, clothes, school supplies, work expenses- the costs of being alive. While my choice to live in Mexico saves me from needing a second job, I lose out on all of the "help" and "assistance" available to my coworkers from the government. I don't know how people who live in TJ manage to get help from the U.S.; most likely through less than honest information on their applications. I don't care if people do this. However, it's not an option that's ever been open to me. My only option is to work hard.

I wasn't always a hard worker. There was a time in my life when I was waiting for a rescuer. I thought that someone would come along and right all of the wrongs in my life. I pictured a life where I'd stay at home making Pinterest projects with my kids. I pictured a life that was very different than the one that I have now. Then, my plans and desires changed and I thought that I could be anything I wanted. I went to college and tried to plan for a future. But then Hector was deported and I began to learn that luck, like happiness, is what you make it.

I get tired. I'm worn out. The daily border crossing is emotionally draining. I get burned out in my career. But I keep going. Money doesn't rain from the sky. God gave me a body, and so I use it to work. Nobody is coming to help me but me. If the Lord sends a blessing that's fine, but usually it's just me and my abilities.


I don't have any luck, I have hustle. I can't stop for little men in green at the end of rainbows. I have to go to work.


2 comments:

  1. Love it! WTG, on three in a row!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Andrea! I think of luck more like coincidence (good ones) or God´s provision, or any number of other ways to call it. But if we aren´t working hard, it´s unlikely that luck (in any of those forms) will find us. You defined it well.

    ReplyDelete